Tuesday 13 January 2015

Creamy Coleslaw with Kale

Coleslaw is one of my favourite side dishes.  It is sweet, tangy, crunchy, and colourful - I always have the ingredients in my refrigerator.  This recipe is an old favourite with a new ingredient - kale. Kale is incredibly nutritious and it pairs well with cabbage especially since it is very close to the cabbage family.

I have been using kale in smoothies, stir fries and now in salads.  My kids love this coleslaw and the kale didn't phase them a bit.  The lemon zest adds a freshness to the salad that makes it worth your while digging out a lemon just to get at the skin.  I choose to add apple cider vinegar to my dressing instead of using the whole lemon, partly because I prefer the cider vinegar taste but especially because I use cider vinegar with 'mother' - imparting extra beneficial microbes to the dressing.




  • 3 Tbsps. of whole egg mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar - preferably unpasteurized
  • 2 tsps. cane sugar, maple syrup or honey
  • 1 tsp. grainy Dijon mustard
  • The zest of 1/2 lemon
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/3 of a medium head of cabbage - shredded
  • 1 medium sized carrot - shredded
  • 4 curly leaf kale leaves - shredded

In a large bowl, whisk mayo, vinegar, sugar, mustard, lemon zest and seasonings until smooth.  In the same bowl, add the cabbage, carrot and kale.  Toss together until well combined.

Refrigerate for up to 4 days.  Serves about 4 depending on your serving sizes but we rarely have much left over after supper.

1 comment: