Thursday 22 January 2015

Creamy Waldorf Salad with Kale

Always looking for another salad to keep my family interested in eating them, I recently decided to try my hand at the infamous Waldorf salad.

Created in the 1800's at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel by its maitre d'hotel, the Waldorf salad contained fresh apples and celery dressed with mayonnaise and served on a bed of lettuce.  By the 1920's walnuts were added as a garnish.  In my childhood, I can remember eating the Waldorf with grapes and chicken added to the salad.

To keep the apples from turning brown, I tossed mine in apple cider vinegar.  Using unpasteurized cider vinegar adds beneficial microbes to the salad, as well.  I also like the sweetness and colour of the grapes; the crunch of celery and the bite of a few green onion.  Walnuts or any nut is optional to add a bit of protein and essential fatty acids.  Finally, instead of serving on the traditional bed of lettuce I chopped up kale and add directly to the salad.  The whole family thought it was yummy! This is my version of the Waldorf, the family liked it and I hope you do too!


  • 3 tsps. unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
  • 2 medium sized red apples, diced
  • 1 cup of red seedless grapes, sliced in half
  • 2 small celery stalks, finely diced
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • 2 stalks of kale, chopped
  • 3 Tbsps. of walnuts, chopped (optional)
  • 2 Tbsps. whole-egg mayonnaise
  • pinch of salt and pepper to taste


Wash and chop the apples and toss with the apple cider vinegar.  Then chop the celery, green onion and walnuts and add them to the apples.  Slice the grapes and add to the bowl.  Finally, wash the kale, remove the stems and chop; add the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper to the salad and gently toss to combine.

Yield:  Serves 4


No comments:

Post a Comment