Thursday 28 May 2015

Sarah's No-Bake Chunky Choc Chip Cookies


Store-bought cookies made it to my hit list over a year ago when I pledged to stop eating processed baked goods.  Most cookies don't accommodate my dairy allergy and many more with their hydrogenated and sugary fillings give me heartburn.  After purchasing a food dehydrator and venturing into making a lot of fruit leathers, I began my no-bake cookie adventures.

We have a few no-bake cookie recipes that we enjoy eating but these are the favourite.  My oldest daughter can't walk by the cookie container without eating one so I probably need to put them out of her path to make them last! At least I know that she is getting a sweet that is nutrient dense and gets her to eat a few more nuts in her diet ~thankfully none of us have a nut allergy.  Should walnuts not be your favourite then simply swap out for a more preferred nut.

So in addition to eating more nuts and bananas (oh yeah, I didn't eat many of them either),  I am now working in more lupin flake into our no-bake cookies and our homemade baked goods.  Lupins are reputed to be high in fibre, low in carbohydrates, and high in protein and I can buy it here in Western Australia as lupin flake.  I use it in our granola bars, bread, cookies, and waffles.  I was amazed at the nutritional value in lupins and now it's a happy addition to these chewy, chunky, chocolate chip cookies; leave the lupin flake out if you can't find it.

I realize there is no shortage of sugar in these cookie delights but there is no refined white sugar in them which seems to cause me as much grief as my dairy nemesis so if you need sugar fix then these will fit the bill.  Feel free to cut back on the dried berries and/or the chocolate chips if they are too much for you.  Either way, these are a very satisfying cookie for someone with a sweet tooth that is guaranteed to pack a nutritional punch.  


  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1 cup pitted dates (if they are super dry then soften in boiling water and drain)
  • 1/2 tsp.of sea salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla (or  1/2 tsp. vanilla paste which is very extravagant but delicious)
  • 1 large ripe banana
  • 1 1/2 cups whole rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup of lupin flake (optional)
  • 1/2 cup of seeds or nuts (I used pumpkin & sunflower combo)
  • 3 Tbsps of ground flaxseed
  • 1/3 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup of dried goji berries, raisins, cranberries, or blueberries
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

In a food processor, finely chop walnuts and pitted dates; add salt, vanilla and banana and blend until smooth.  In a medium sized bowl, mix banana mixture with oats, lupin flake, seeds, flax, coconut, cocoa powder, dried berries, and chocolate until combined.

Dip a tablespoon into water and spoon as compactly as possible onto a nonstick pan or dehydrator sheet. Dehydrate for 16 - 24hrs depending on the temperature setting  of your dehydrator but should you not have a dehydrator, preheat your oven to 300 F then turn it off and place the cookies in the oven to leave with the door shut until the oven is cool.

Store in an airtight container for up to a month but I would be surprised if they last that long. Makes approximately 24 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment