Tuesday 1 September 2015

Yummy Vegan Cheeze Sauce

Sorry for my slow down in posts of late.  I am suffering from a problem with my back so I haven't been cooking up much of a storm or posting what I have been able to produce in my kitchen.  That said, my kids and I did have a conversation about my mac and real cheese of long ago ~ it has been years since we have had it for dinner.  My allergy to milk makes this favourite dish a no-go and I couldn't possibly stand to make it and watch them eat it if I can't have any!

Since I am just barely hobbling around, I decided to have a look on the net for a very easy vegan mac and cheese recipe that I could sit on a stool in the kitchen and make with ease ~ in my somewhat 'diminished' capacity.

There are lots of vegan mac and cheese recipes floating around on the net but I usually pick and choose what I think will work best from multiple recipes.  This is my adapted version of a cheese sauce, by Vegan Yumminess, that is delicious for mac & cheese; yummy for a cold pasta salad; amazing as a cheese sauce on a baked potato stuffed with veggies; eaten as a nacho sauce; or delicious as a warm dip with or without a splash of sriracha ~ I'm presently dreaming of oven roasted buffalo cauliflower bites and spicy cheese dip :)

This sauce is easy to make and takes about 10 minutes to prep, another 10 minutes or so to boil the veggies and about a minute to blend.  So it's quick to prepare and I am sure even a cheese lover will love it!


                                         Printer Version


  • 2 small potatoes, chopped & cooked
  • 1 medium sized carrot, peeled, chopped, & cooked
  • 1 small onion, peeled, chopped & cooked
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled & cooked
  • 3/4 cup filtered water (or use cooking water from veggies)
  • 1/2 cup of raw cashews, soaked overnight or in boiling water for 15 minutes
  • 1/4 cup of soy milk, coconut milk, or nut milk
  • 3 Tbsps. nutritional yeast
  • 3 Tbsps. fresh lemon juice
  • 1- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tsp. paprika (cut back or leave out for a whiter sauce)


Prepare the potatoes, carrot, onion, and garlic; cover with water in a medium sized pot and boil until tender.  Drain garlic and veggies ~ reserving the appropriate amount of cooking water to add to the blender.  Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Taste to adjust your seasonings. Makes about 31/2 cups of cheese sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment